Website DNA Talent
An exciting opportunity is now available for a highly motivated and proactive individual to join the company in Melbourne CBD in the role of Head of Legal and Compliance. This is a fantastic chance to join a friendly, stable, enthusiastic, high performing and supportive company that values its people in an industry that’s rapidly changing.
- Work collaboratively and provide legal counsel across a variety of business units and/or projects to effectively serve the enterprise and manage the volume of work.
- The Legal Counsel will provide strategic commercial legal advice in relation to acquisitions, divestments, joint ventures, restructures, greenfield developments, project financing, commercial contracts, marketing and sales, privacy, litigation / dispute resolution, OH&S, ethics, compliance and corporate governance matters.
- Provide practical legal advice to internal stakeholders on projects and day-to-day operational matters to protect the business against legal risk
- Review, negotiate and draft agreements for the company including for commodity sale and supply arrangements, confidentiality, procurement of goods and services and operational activities (including agreements for retail sales and marketing and services)
- Advise on regulatory and statutory compliance matters affecting the company
- Provide legal support and advice to head office functions as required from time to time, including treasury, HR, company secretarial, tax and finance
- Manage and provide advice in relation to litigation / dispute resolution activities
- Review and provide advice on all legal matters, including large-scale contracts, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and other commercial transactions and client related matters. Manage and resolve legal issues pertaining to transactional, commercial, corporate and regulatory matters in a manner consistent with the company’s business decisions and strategy.
- Protect the company by establishing and recommending risk and compliance standards and expectations while creating/supporting opportunities and paths to allow the company to execute strategy to the fullest extent.
- Corporate Legal practitioner practising certificate (Bachelor of Law)
- 10+ years’ experience in the Energy Retailer Sectors laws and regulation.
- Ability to identify critical business issues, to negotiate major contracts, to structure collaborative business enterprises, and to lead teams of internal executives and external professionals.
- Excellent writing and communications skills, the ability to negotiate and persuade, and a sound understanding of corporate and commercial law and general business practices
- Demonstrated experience in developing effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders
To be successful in this role, you will have gained 4 to 6 years of commercial post-qualification experience, preferably within a top tier law firm or a large corporate environment, preferably with exposure to Australian energy markets and transactions, mergers and acquisitions and /or renewable development projects. You will have a commercial and solutions mindset and have the capacity and willingness to learn quickly about complex and unfamiliar matters. You have exceptional communication skills, able to manage competing priorities and be action oriented.