Website DNA Talent
As the Head of Credit Risk you will have a unique opportunity to shape our Credit Risk strategy, function and capabilities and risk appetite at a data centric, engineering first fin-tech. You will be responsible for the build of our Credit Risk Operating Model alongside our Strategy, Product, Operations and Data Science teams. You will be highly collaborative and willing to challenge the status quo in our approach to credit scoring and underwriting, while having a strong track record of understanding what good (and bad) credit looks like. You should be passionate about fixing the current flaws that exist in business lending and challenging assumptions in incumbent business models.
- Risk Strategy
- Responsible for global-wide product range oversight of and leading the strategy for Credit Risk.
- Building the credit risk policy and ensuring the company’s risk positions are appropriately rewarded
- Implement and monitor first line defence strategies to determine credit and fraud risk.
- Assessment and Underwriting
- Develop our credit risk assessment of potential clients, both at the initial stage of the credit risk decision and also ongoing during the lifecycle of each loan
- Building, leading and managing an underwriting team for credit structuring, decisioning and verification of relevant asset products. This includes credit cards and unsecured loans.
- Actively driving ongoing process improvement including improving Credit Quality and increasing automated decision making – to ensure that we are ready and able to scale rapidly
- Ensuring the operation of effective credit risk management processes and controls across the business to maintain credit decision quality and credit approval limits (e.g. policy waivers trends, rules engine outcomes, DLA decisions/mitigation, quality results)
- Provide sound, high quality recommendation to management on complex applications.
- Data, Modelling and Quantitative Approach
- Lead the monitoring, measuring and reporting on the status of the portfolio along key credit metrics
- Work with data scientists to:
- Perform probably of default modelling to make informed appetite and policy decisions
- Utilise complex proprietary and third party data to identify and investigate developing trends and draw insight and hypothesis from data.
- Use hypothesis led analytics to understand and assess risk strategy performance, and formulating enhancement initiatives that generate business and customer value;
- Loves challenging the status-quo – particularly in the decisioning and underwriting disciplines
- Open-mindedness to novel models of credit scoring — less reliant on historic financial statements, but rather credit scoring on the back of real time performance metrics and use of tools such as machine learning
- Understands the value of data and modern technology architectures to avoid legacy ‘traps’ and assumptions
- Holds the concept of product and design ‘simplicity’ in the highest regard
- Be able to continually balance speed, perfection, functionality, cost and design
- Willingness to oscillate between and balance; ‘leadership’ with ‘getting your hands dirty
Qualifications and experience
- A background in SME lending, challenger banks, and other disruptive fintechs will be a natural advantage in this role. A person who has practical experience in developing risk scorecards and automating underwriting processes will also have a head-start
- Experience in bank or non-bank financial institution lenders is a must
- 7+ years of experience in a risk management role in financial services
- Prior small business lending experience is a significant advantage
- Deep experience lending across a wide range of products coupled with well-practiced proven Risk and Credit knowledge
- Experience in product credit risk strategy across unsecured and secured lending – from business loans and lines of credit through to chattel mortgages
- Experience working in Cards (i.e., debit, credit), as well as Payment schemes and/or card management systems
- Strong commercial acumen, influencing skills and stakeholder management to drive business outcomes
- Understand the regulatory environment and liaise with the Risk, Compliance and Legal teams to ensure the business meets legal and compliance requirements
- Understanding of credit scoring / credit bureau processes is a must
- Underwriting experience or a strong understanding of the underwriting process
- Experience in working within a high-growth environment
- Experience in SQL, Python, R, MatLab
- Understanding of Machine Learning principles
What’s in it for you
– Be part of something big from the outset
– Watch your work be put up in lights
– A balanced, progressive and supportive work environment
– Competitive salary
– A package which includes equity from an early stage
– Join a rapidly growing team with opportunities to grow and develop your career wherever your passions and skills take you